Sunday, October 4, 2009

My First Hand Applique Project


Here is a peek at what I've been working on this week. It's my FIRST hand applique project!

I've had a love/hate relationship with hand applique ever since I began quilting 20 years ago. I LOVED it and WANTED to do it, but all of my work really looked bad. Since I'm a confirmed perfectionist when it comes to sewing, each attempt ended up in the trash.

I decided that I just wasn't cut out for it and didn't try again until this week, when I came across this wonderful tutorial from Rose Rushbrooke. I tried it and it worked!

Now, the butterflies do have nice gentle curves, which I'm sure has added to the ease of the applique, so I think I've chosen the perfect pattern to practice on. I'm having success and that is keeping me working on it. :)

There is a bit of embroidery yet to be added to the blocks (antennae and lines on the body), but this project is going really fast. I'm shooting for a queen size quilt with sashing strips and maybe some posies appliqued in the border. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment