Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative

Several months ago, I sent in a little quilt to Ami Simms' Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. Donated quilts are auctioned off/sold to raise money for research. At the time I sent mine in, I didn't have any personal connection with this terrible disease. Now, things have changed.

My mother's sister is dying. Hospice has been called in and they don't expect her to last much longer. She has congestive heart failure. She also has Alzheimer's.

I recently learned that my little quilt is one of 1,077 quilts that are going to the Houston International Quilt Festival, October 14th - 18th to (hopefully) be sold to raise money for this wonderful cause.

I get a lump in my throat every time I think about my little quilt and my aunt. My quilt features a heart, my aunt has heart failure. My aunt has Alzheimer's, my little quilt will be sold to raise money to fund the research needed to find a cure for this terrible disease.

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't know about my aunt's condition at the time I sent my little quilt in. If only I could change the dedication...I'd dedicate it to her strength and courage in what may possibly be the last few days of her life.

You can view my quilt here: Love Grows Here

===============

(Note: My aunt passed away about three hours after I posted this.)

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful quilt! I consider most quilts that feature hearts overly sweet, but not this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nellie! This was my first donation quilt and I was a bit nervous that it wouldn't "fit in". Your comments have made me feel a lot better about it. :)

    ReplyDelete